ASSIGNMENT 1ST SEMESTER: MARKETING STRATEGY (M4)
INSTRUCTIONS TO CANDIDATES FOR COMPLETING AND SUBMITTING ASSIGNMENTS The complete ‘Instructions to Students for Completing and Submitting Assignments’ must be collected from any IMM GSM office, the relevant Student Support Centre or can b e downloaded from the IMM GSM website. It is essential that the complete instructions be studied prior to commencing your assignment. The following points highlight only a few important notes. 1. You are required to submit ONE assignment per subject.
2. The assignment will contribute 20% towards the final examination mark, and the other 80% will be contributed by the examination, however, the examination papers will count out of 100%. 3. Although your assignment will contribute towards your final examination mark , you do not have to earn credits for admission to the examinations; you are automatically accepted on registering for the exam.
4. Number all the pages of your assignment (e.g. page 1 of 4) and write your name and surname, student number and subject at the top of each page.
5. The IMM GSM requires assignments to be presented in a typed format, on plain A4 paper. Students who exceed the word limit may find that only part of the submitted assignment will be marked.
6. A separate assignment cover, which is provided by the IMM GSM, must be attached to the front of each assignment.
7. Retain a copy of each assignment before submitting, in case the original does not reach the IMM GSM.
8. The assignment due date refers to the day up to which assignments will be accepted for marking purposes. The deadline is 24:00 on 19 March 2013 OR 24:00 on 19 May 2013 for upload to the IMM GSM website. Late assignments will be accepted, but 25 marks will be deducted from the maximum mark, if received after 24:00 on 19 March 2013 OR 19 May 2013 and up to 17:00 the following day, after which no assignments will be accepted.
9. If you fail to follow these instructions carefully, the IMM Graduate School of Marketing cannot accept responsibility for the return of the assignment. It may even result in your assignment not being marked.
Results will be available on the IMM GSM website, www.immgsm.ac.za, on Friday, 3 May 2013.
This assignment is based on the case study Kulula.Com.
This is to test your APPLICATION of knowledge and theory.
Note the mark allocation and structure your answer accordingly.
Check your final submission for appearance, accuracy, spelling and grammar.
Your plan should be between ten and fifteen typed pages (Arial font 12pt, line spacing 1,5).
The assignment should be typed up and include a cover page, table of contents and reference sections.
All tables and figures are to be clearly
numbered. Be creative in the presentation of the marketing plan. Case study reference: Kulula.com – Making you want to fly, in Cant, M. & Machado, R. 2010. Marketing Success Stories: South African Case Studies. 7th ed. Oxford: South Africa.
Case Study: 14 – Kulula.com [Online] Available from: www.immgsm.ac.za.
You are expected to compile an integrated marketing plan for kulula.com. The marketing plan must address the following issues:
A situational analysis and resulting SWOT analysis for kulula.com in the South African market.
The segmentation – target – positioning of kulula.com and the marketing objectives and strategy kulula.com should follow in the next 3 years (2012 – 2015).
A detailed marketing plan covering all elements of the marketing mix kulula.com could use, with particular emphasis on a) the promotional strategy, and b) e-marketing (digital marketing).
The marketing plan format that is used should include:
An executive summary
A situation analysis
A SWOT analysis
Key issues identified
Goals and objectives to be pursued
The target market and positioning in this target market
Assignment: 1st Semester 2013
An overview of the marketing strategy
Detailed action plans (tactical plans) around the key components of an appropriate marketing mix (The 4Ps of marketing)
Controls and reviews.