ISYS2059 Business Computing
ANALYSING A SPREADSHEET AND PRESENTING A BUSINESS REPORT ISYS2059 Business Computing
Due Date: Sunday October 8, 11:59 pm – 2017
(20% of Final Grade)
Miriam Minotaur owns Orca Swim School, which is a swim school located in the South-Eastern suburbs of Melbourne. The swim school offers a range of swim programs for infants and children. Classes are booked for the entire term. The cost per term is dependent on the number of weeks in the Victorian school term. Parents are requested to pay fees in advance. If fees are paid in total before term begins they receive a discount.
Miriam teaches some swim classes herself and enjoys this aspect of her work. She also handles bookings, accounts and organises the swim teaching roster for the six casual teaching staff she employs (pay rates have been determined by both age and qualifications). She also employs a receptionist who works on an hourly rate whenever classes are being held.
Earlier in the year,Miriamwas becoming increasingly concerned that her business was behind budget. To improve profitability, she conducted research into the type of classes offered by successful swim schools in other areas. Based on this research she has introduced two new class types into the schedule (Penguin and Dolphin). She has also introduced a fewSaturday morning classes and has recently employed a new experienced swim teacher, SusanHiggins.Although Susan is paid a higher rate she is more qualified and has greater experience than other staff. Miriam is hoping that these measures have encouraged new customers to her swim school and will improve the profitability of her business.
Miriam has set up a spreadsheet. She has asked you to complete any relevant calculationsand to use excel ‘tools’ to analyse the data she has given you. She then requires you to write a report with regards to the effectiveness of these measures and suggestions regarding how she should structure the timetable in term four. She realises there are other factors that may impact the results of the data. At least two additionalfactors should be considered and discussed before you make your recommendations.
A spreadsheet has been provided for you containing the datafor term three enrolments.
PREPARING THE BUSINESS REPORT
The analysis, findings and recommendations which you prepare for Miriam should be outlined in a professional business report.
This report should include:
- A Title Page – With an appropriate graphic, report title and student name & number. You should also provide the course name (Business Computing 1), course number (ISYS2059), your workshop time and your workshop tutors’ names.
- A Table of Contents (TOC)generated by MS ‘Word’. Word default settings for the table of contents should not be altered.
- A brief Introduction that outlines clearly the purpose of the report.
- A brief presentation of the analysis you have carried out and a discussion regarding the results of this analysis.
- Identification/discussion regardingother factors that may be affecting the results.
- A short concluding summary of the content of the report.
- Finally, at least two clear recommendations that Miriamcan adopt. These recommendations must be drawn from the analysis that you have carried out, and must have been discussed in the body of your report.
ISYS2059 Business Computing
The report should be developed using the guidelines coveredin the Online Business Communications Workshop
Specifically you should:
- Ensure your report is concise: 1000words. This word count includes title page and TOC. It does not include appendices. (Note: a 10% variance is acceptable.)
- Present the report in a professional, business format with no spelling or grammatical errors.
- Use appropriate headings and subheadings throughout the body of the report.
- Align text using full justification.
- Include a page header with a suitably formatted title (the header must not appear on the title page).
- Include a footer with your name, id number and page number(the footer must not appear on the title page).
- Include at least twoappropriate charts – which you have created – either in the body of your report (appropriately labelled) or as an appendix at the end of the report. The material in the charts must be discussed as part of the paper.
The Business Report must be submitted, in MS Word format, no later than Sunday,September 10, 2017, 11:59 pm, via the Turnitin link provided in the “Assignments” area on the ISYS2059 Business Computing 1 site on Canvas. A Student Guide to submission using Turnitin is available at: