FIN201 Assignment for Non-Award Students
Each question is worth 20 marks. In total this assignment will make up 40% of the total marks for the subject. You must submit your answers via moodle for this subject no later than 19th April 2018.
- The table provides data on 2 risky assets, A and B, the market portfolio M and the risk-free asset F. Covariance
FIN201 Assignment For Non-Award Students
An investor wishes to achieve an expected return of 12% and is considering four ways this may be done:
- Invest in A and B
- Invest in A and M
- Invest in B and F
- Invest in M and F
For each of these options, calculate the portfolio weights required to achieve the expected return of 12% and the portfolio standard deviation. Determine if assets A and B are priced according to the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) and, in the light of the result, comment on your findings. You must show all your workings and calculations you used to arrive at your conclusion.
- Analysing dividend policy
Investors may attempt to infer a company’s dividend policy by observing its profits, dividends and payout ratio over time. Select 2 companies that are part of the ASX50 index. Both companies must not be from the same industry. If you select one from the financial industry, then the second company cannot be from the financial sector.
- For each company, list out the past 12 years (FY2006 to 2017) – Net profit after tax
- Earnings per share
- Dividend per share
- Dividend payout ratio
- Based on the dividend payout ratio data for the period 2006 to 2017, how would you describe each of the company’s dividend policy?
- Compare the dividend payout ratio of both companies over this period. What might you infer from the differences in their dividend payout policy and the industry that they are in? Give reasons.
- Note any major changes in each company’s dividend policy over this period and the reasons given by the companies for such changes. Do you agree with the company’s decision to change their dividend policy? Give reasons.
- Examine the daily share price movement of each company in the 4-week period before and after its most recent change in dividend policy. Plot a chart of the price movements for each company during this period. What conclusions can you draw from the movements of their share price?