EDU10003 The World of Maths
mathematics learning environment.
- Click here to complete your Student Feedback Survey
- Click here to access your EvaluationKIT Instructor Dashboard
- Click here to access your EvaluationKIT Administrator Dashboard
Teaching period 2, 2017
Assignment 1: Essay
Word limit: 1500 (+/- 10%)
Due date: 5pm AEST Monday 14 August 2017 (Week 6)
After you have read this information, head over to the Q&A Assignment 1 discussion board to ask any questions and see what your peers are saying about this assignment.
This assignment requires you to write an essay that explores the way in which we teach mathematics in a contemporary mathematics learning environment.
Related learning outcomes
This task is assessing your ability to demonstrate that you meet the criteria for the following unit learning outcomes:
- Describe the nature and development of mathematical thinking and numeracy processes in children.
You are required to write your essay in response to the following quote:
It is crucial to develop in children the ability to tackle problems with initiative and confidence … mathematics has changed from careful rehearsal of standard procedures to a focus on mathematical thinking and communication to prepare them for the world of tomorrow. (Anghileri, 2006, p. 2)
Your essay should be informed by your understanding of theories and contemporary perspectives of the nature and development of children’s mathematical thinking. Weeks 3 and 4 of your learning materials will give you an understanding of both historical and contemporary perspectives. These weeks also show you the impact of these perspectives upon pedagogy in contemporary education across early childhood and primary contexts.
EDU10003: The World of Maths
Main body: Identify and briefly discuss the quote to scaffold the following sections of the essay:
- Select and justify one theoretical perspective on learning i.e. Constructivism or Behaviourism that you believe is best suited to the learning and teaching of maths.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of the selected theoretical perspective and also explain why it is better suited (in comparison with one other theoretical perspective) to the learning and teaching of maths.
- Identify and describe why maths teaching and learning has left behind rehearsal and should be about playfulness, fun and creativity—this links to pedagogy.
Conclusion: Conclude with a detailed summary about the nature and development of mathematical thinking and numeracy processes in children in the 21st century (approximately 10% of the word count).
Reference list: All resources that you have cited in-text in the essay need to be referenced in APA style.
Preparing your essay
The material upon which you will base your essay is covered primarily in Weeks 3 and 4. Review the resources carefully, as you prepare your essay.
You are strongly encouraged to participate in the Week 3 Activity: Resource sharing and theory comparison, as this will enable you to engage more deeply with the relevant theories.
The following resources will support you in completing this assignment:
- Referencing guide.
- Assignment support.
- Essay writing guide.
Submission details overview
- Knowledge and understanding of learning theory.
- Knowledge of pedagogy.
- Format and structure.
Your work will be assessed using the following marking guide:
Did not meet criterion.
|· Did not meet criterion.|
Pass [P 50-59%]
All aspects of the task have been completed, and the requirements of all criteria have been met at a satisfactory level. Specifics are identified in the column to the right.
|· A theoretical perspective has been identified but some confusion is evident in the justification.|
· There is limited acknowledgement of another theoretical perspective.
· The identification of engaging maths pedagogy is satisfactory but the description is based around personal opinion with limited justification.
· There are spelling, grammar and punctuation errors, which detract from the essay.
· Introduction and conclusion are included but there is minimal flow between the paragraphs.
· APA formatting guidelines for referencing are present but references aren’t consistently formatted or accurate.
· Some resources and references have been used but they are limited.
Credit [C 60-69%]
To be awarded a Credit, you must fulfil all of the requirements of the Pass level, but with more sophistication (in the way you identify and discuss the learning theory).
|· A theoretical perspective has been clearly identified, but only briefly justified as being better suited for teaching and learning in Maths.|
· The comparison of the theoretical perspective to another theoretical perspective demonstrates some understanding of Maths in a contemporary learning environment.
· The essay provides some evidence that supports the chosen theory as more appropriate than others.
· The identification of engaging and disengaging maths pedagogy is correct.
· Satisfactory introduction and conclusion.
· There are some spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.
· Referencing is attempted in APA format, however there are some errors.
· An adequate range of resources has been used.
Distinction [D 70-79%]
To be awarded a Distinction for this task, you must meet all of the requirements of the Credit level, but with a higher degree of insight into the topic, and competence in written communication.
|· A theoretical perspective has been clearly identified, and justified as better suited for teaching and learning in Maths with evidence of further research.|
· The comparison demonstrates a comprehensive understanding of other theoretical perspectives.
· There is adequate evidence that supports the chosen theoretical perspective as more appropriate than others.
· Introduction and conclusion are effective, and a cohesive argument is developed across the paragraphs.
· Referencing and use of APA formatting of sources are mostly accurate and consistent in-text and in the reference list.
High Distinction [HD 80-100%]
To be awarded a High Distinction for this assignment, your work must meet all requirements of the Distinction standard, and show higher levels of sophistication and insight.
|· A theoretical perspective has been clearly identified, and has been justified in detail as the best approach for teaching and learning Maths.|
· The comparison demonstrates a deep understanding of another theoretical perspective.
· There is extensive evidence that supports the chosen theoretical perspective as more appropriate than others.
· There is an inviting introduction and a clear conclusion, with a cohesive and persuasive argument developed through careful attention to connections within and between paragraphs.
· There are no significant spelling, grammar or punctuation errors.
· References meet APA formatting guidelines and there is an extensive reference list, with good quality academic resources.
Anghileri, J. (2006). Children’s mathematical thinking in the primary years perspectives on children’s learning (Repr. 2006. ed.). London: Continuum.
This tool needs to be loaded in a new browser window
Load Assignment 1: Essay in a new window
This tool was successfully loaded in a new browser window. Reload the page to access the tool again.
In order to create video or audio recordings your computer needs to be webcam-enabled. If you don’t have a webcam on your computer, you can still record audio-only messages by first installing the Google Video Chat plugin.
Install the Video Plugin
Don’t have a webcam?