DFN 3013 FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
SUNWAY UNIVERSITY BUSINESS SCHOOL
DIPLOMA IN BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
ACADEMIC SESSION : AUGUST – DECEMBER 2015
DFN 3013 : FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT
ASSIGNMENT DEADLINE:23 OCTOBER 2015 (4 PM)
A Group Assignment on Assessing Company Performance (30 %) – A 600 word essay using the Harvard format for referencing
Form a group of 5. Appoint a group leader. The group leader will act as the financial manager for your company and your role and your group’s role is to recommend one of the 3 companies that have been shortlisted (Refer to the available names of companies under List A to C in eLearn) to the Board of Directors for investment into marketable securities (as part of the working capital management strategy in managing cash surplus and cash deficit). When your group has researched individual stocks for investing, the group has to look beyond the basics like share price, number or shares, and market capitalization to make a decision.
You are to work in a group NOT MORE THAN 5 for this group assignment and at the end of the group assignment, enclose also the peer evaluation forms (filled by all members) as Appendix 8 when you submit the hardcopy of your group assignment. It will be uploaded in the eLearn.
When investing in individual stocks, there are a lot of information to consider in exercising your due diligence. Applying the financial ratios can help you better understand the companies your group is looking at and how it compares to its peer group. Use the Excel template that is provided to capture all vital information on all 3 companies and then, explain your findings based on the analysis, on the readings done on the companies and justify why your group had finally selected the particular company stock to invest in.
1.Map the stock price movement for each of the company from the year 2005 to 2014. Highlight any significant event that took place during the period that may have contributed to the stock price fluctuations.
- Inter-firm Comparisons:Compare the performance of one firm with the other 2 firms. Comment
- Intra-firm Comparisons:Compare the performance of the firm with previous years performance. Comment.
|Rubrics For Assignment Marks|
|Introduction –Company Profiles||15|
|Stock Movement Chart||15|
|Company Performance Analysis –Comparison From Year To Year||15|
|Company Performance Analysis –Comparison From Company To Company||15|
|Oral Presentation –Stock Price Movement Chart, Excel Spreadsheet, Turnitin Report, Ratio Analysis workings etc. Printout of presentation to be attached as appendices||25|
|Track a more updated sets of data. 2005 – 2014 to make the final decision because|
stock volatility might change after the crisis.
|* Handpick 5 ratios from the ratios that has been highlighted in bold in the assignment template|
and comment accordingly pertaining to its significance and impact caused by the 2008 crisis
(Appendix 1-4) Profile of companies and stock market performance chart of all 3 companies– map out a chart on the stock price movement from 2005-2014
(Appendix 5) : Use the Excel worksheet template (retrieve the softcopy from eLearn) to source data and work on arriving at the following information for your decision making:
(Appendix 6) Group leaders are required to submit their assignment into Turnitin and enclose the Turnitin’s Originality Report as an Appendix 6 attached together with their assignment.
(Appendix 7) – the explanantion and workings of 5 ratio analysis based on the 6 shortlisted ratios
- Earnings Per Share
- Dividend Per share
- P/E ratio
- Dividend yield
- Price/Book ratio
- EBIT growth – please see me during CONSULTATION time with regards to this
- Return on Equity = Net income / equity
(Appendix 8) – Peer evaluation form on assessing group members’ contribution including team leader’s.
The format of the assignment:
- Must be neatly typed by using Word document
- Enclose the assignment and appendices both in hardcopy and via email a softcopy to your lecturer.
- Spacing : 1.5 ; Font : Arial; Size : 12
- Must attach references following the Harvard format, besides the above appendices, any other appendices can be submitted at your own discrete
- Must attach the SUBS Assignment Cover sheet that include university name, subject name and code, topic, team members name and ID, course and tutorial group number. Members must submit the PEER EVALUATION FORM on each member.
- Use the copy of the Excel worksheet template and attach it at the end page of the assignment as Appendix 2 on the various companies’ data that was worked on.
- All group members must explain the findings (Stock Price Movement Chart, excel spreadsheet, financial analysis findings etc) and make recommendations on the particular company stock to invest in an oral presentation during the workshop time allocated to your group.
An extract on Collusion and Plagiarism:
Avoid the following:
Collusion, whether inadvertent or deliberate, shall include the following
- knowingly submits as entirely his/her own, work done in collaboration with another person; without official approval; or
- collaborates with another student in the completion of work which he/she knows is intended to be submitted as that other student’s own unaided work; or knowingly permits another student to copy all or part of his/her own work and to submit it as that student’s own unaided work.
Plagiarism, whether inadvertent or deliberate, shall include the following:
- attempting to pass off work as one’s own, which is not one’s own. It includes the representation of work, written or otherwise, of any other person, including another student, or any institution, as the candidate’s own. It may take the form of:
- verbatim copying or insertion of another person’s work (published or unpublished and including material freely available in electronic form) without appropriate acknowledgement
- the close paraphrasing of another person’s work by simply changing a few words or altering the order of presentation, without appropriate acknowledgement
- unacknowledged quotation of phrases from another person’s work
- the deliberate and detailed presentation of another person’s concept as one’s own. Intentional vs. Non-Intentional Plagiarism– Intentional plagiarism is when a student intentionally plagiarizes by turning in a research paper or assignment that is clearly not their own. Non-Intentional plagiarism is where an online student forgets or does not know how to correctly cite and or paraphrase correctly e.g. using Harvard Format.
Types of plagiarism
- Self-Plagiarism– This is where a student uses a previous paper or assignment they used in a previous class for their current class. Many students don’t realize that this is a form of plagiarism. This is also referred to as double counting or dipping.
- Purchasing Papers Online– There are many Web sites out there that allow you to purchase research papers and assignments. This is the worst form of plagiarism and the easiest caught.
- Writing Services- There are some online services that will write your research papers and assignments for you for a fee. You might get away with this form of plagiarizing, but you are only fooling yourself out of a good education and this will only come back to haunt you in the future as the faculty may still be able to catch this form of plagiarism.
- Copying Sections– This is where online students will copy large parts of information from another source without properly citing or paraphrasing it using Harvard Format. This is sometimes done intentionally and non-intentionally. The faculty have various ways they can cipher between the two.