Develop Performance Management Processes
|Candidate’s name||Phone no.|
|Assessor’s name||Phone no.|
The assessment task is due on the date specified by your assessor. Any variations to this arrangement must be approved in writing by your assessor.
Submit this document with any required evidence attached. See specifications below for details.
You will need to demonstrate the skills and knowledge required to develop integrated performance management processes.
In response to a simulated business scenario, you will analyse business and operational plans and use information from key stakeholders to develop objectives and processes for performance management. You will then develop plans to implement processes. Finally, you will provide a written reflection on the activities you undertook to complete the assessment task.
- Review the following scenario:
|You are the new HR General Manager at Australian Hardware.|
In order to help the organisation realise its strategic goals, you will need to ensure a coordinated and integrated approach to performance management across the organisation. You will need to:
? analyse organisational plans and policies
? create objectives for performance management and develop integrated processes
? consult with line managers and other management stakeholders to ensure support and smooth implementation
? plan the effective implementation of performancemanagement processes.
In undertaking this activity you will be guided by your knowledge of building organisational capability and managing talent to achieve both shorter and longer-term organisational goals.
- Review the Australian Hardware simulated business information provided in the Assessment Appendices and analyse the organisational documents – such as strategic and operational plans – in order to understand the Australian Hardware simulated business, including its vision and strategic objectives. Identify objectives and policies to be addressed in integrated performance management processes that you will develop for implementation.
- Develop at least three objectives for performance management to support the Australian Hardware organisational strategy. These objectives could address areas of performance management such as KPI setting, ongoing performance monitoring and management and performance appraisals. Record these objectives in the first table in the planning template provided in Appendix 1.
- Design a process – such as methods, a set of procedures or tools – to assist managers to develop KPIs for the employees reporting to them. Ensure that the performance management process is flexible enough to cover the range of employment situations that exist within the Australian Hardware simulated business.
- Arrange with your assessor to role-play consultation with two managers (a line manager and the Chief Operating Officer) to ensure objectives, and processesfor developing KPIs are understood, agreeable and feasible for managers to implement.
Ensure you act during your consultation in a way designed to ensure support for your processes. Be prepared to demonstrate your knowledge of the role of HR in building organisational capability, contributing to the development of a learning organisation, and achieving organisational success.
Note: As a result of consultation, you may need to amend your three objectives and your process – methods, procedures or tools – to meet the needs of various manager stakeholders.
- Plan implementation of processes related to the objectives you have developed. You may use the template in Appendix 1 to record your plan.Ensure your implementation plan includes strategies to ensure concerns of stakeholders about KPI setting and performance appraisals are addressed. Ensure you include appropriate timeframes. Your schedule should cover one financial or calendar year.
- Prepare a 1–2page written reflection on the activities you have undertaken during this Assessment Task to develop performance management processes and plan implementation. Ensure you explain your planning choices with respect to:
- relevance to specific organisational goals and the broader role of performance management in building organisational capability
- characteristics of learning organisations
- application of policiesto your planning of processes
- consideration and application of equal employment opportunity, privacy and confidentiality, diversity and anti-discrimination policies and legislation, as relevant to performance management
- application of grievance procedures to your planning of processes
- discussion of design options chosen or ruled out to build organisational capability and meet the needs of the organisation.
- Submit the required documents for assessment as per the specifications below. Be sure to keep a copy for your records.
- submit three objectives for performance management
- submit at least one example of a process for KPI setting, such as a procedure or tool
- participate in role-play/s with two managers
- submit implementation planning for performance management processes
- submit a 1–2 page written reflection of process undertaken to develop and implement performance management processes.
Your assessor will be looking for:
- analytical skills to ensure processes are practical and gather necessary information
- leadership skills to gain support for performance management processes across the organisation
- knowledge of characteristics of a learning organisation
- knowledge of policies and legislation relevant to performance management
- knowledge of grievance procedures
- knowledge of options in the design of performance management
- knowledge of role of performance management in relation to broader human resources and business.
Adjustment for distance-based learners
- The role-plays can be adjusted for distance learning. The role-plays for this task can be varied to take place using Skype conferencing (or any other video conferencing tool available to both you and the assessor).
- No variation of the task is required.
- A follow-up interview may be required (at the discretion of the assessor).
- Documentation can be submitted electronically or posted in the mail.
- Appendix 1 – Performance management planning template
|Performance management objectives|