200109 Corporate Accounting Systems | Financial Accounting Assignment
200109 Corporate Accounting Systems with Non-Controlling Interests
- The assignment is to be submitted as an individual attempt. It must be prepared using Excel spreadsheet and be entirely your own work from this semester – i.e. do not use or copy any file, in whole or in part, from any previous semester or from any other student.Create a new excel file for this assignment and use your student number as the file name.
- The assignment cover sheet and marking guide can be found as the last two pages of this assignment question file. Print these two pages and complete them. Use the marking guide sheet to see what is expected and how your work will be marked. Significant emphasis is placed on the correctness of the journal entries so ensure you spend adequate time on these. Review your work before submission and consider how well have met the expected standards (performance levels) for the criteria identified.
- Your submissionneeds to be printed on A4 paper, single-sided, and the pages must be stapled at the top left hand corner only. Do not bind your assignment,nor put it in a folder or a plastic sleeve. The first page must be the completed and signed cover sheet and the last page is to be the marking sheet. The marker will use the last page to calculate your assignment result and provide you with feedback on the standard you achieved against each of the criteria.Assignments which do not have thesetwo completed sheets attached will not be accepted.
- The printed assignment is to be submitted to your tutor during the first 10 minutes of your usual tutorial class in Week 11 (week beginning 7th October 2013). Submissions during the tutorial, but after the 10 minute deadline, will be identified and penalised by the deduction of 1 mark.Assignments not submitted at the registered tutorial class will be regarded as “late”.Students will need to speak to the unit coordinator (not email) about the process for late submission, if necessary. All late submissions will be penalised as per UWS policy – a deduction of 2 marks (being, 10% of the possible mark) for each day, or part day, late.Submissions will not be accepted by email. If you cannot attend at the required tutorial time you need to either send it along with a fellow classmate or personally hand it to your tutor before the tutorial class in which it is due – you would need to make arrangements directly with them about organising this.
- After handing in the printed copy, the excel file must be uploaded to vUWS by 4pm on Friday 11th October 2013 (end of Week 11) at the latest. Further instructions on this process will be provided on vUWS closer to the due date. The excel file MUST EXACTLY MATCH the printed version and not be modified after the submitted version was printed. Uploading a file that doesn’t match exactly, or failing to upload the excel file on time,will result in a significant penalty!The file will be checked against other students’ submissions for potential
- Marks will be deducted for poor quality presentation, for incorrect work, and for missing work. The presentation of the financial statements must the format of the examples and end-of-chapter exercise in chapter 29 of the textbook.
- Staff will not assist students with their answers, nor review draft answers to confirm if students are “on the right track” or not. Any queries about the requirements of the assignment must be directed to the Unit Coordinator only, not to other teaching staff.
This is not an assignment that you should commence a day or two before it is due!!! There is a lot of work to do in the almost 6 weeks that you will have to do it, which includes 2 non-teaching weeks in this unit. The assignment question can be complex, but these complexities can be resolved by thoroughly reading the relevant material in your textbook.You will also need to call on your understanding of accounting and logically consider some of the entries needed as they may not all be shown in the textbook.
QUESTION Using the information below and the financial statementson the following page, prepare the following at 30 June 2013:
A. adjustment/elimination journal entries for consolidation (10 marks); and B. consolidation worksheetand detailed calculation of non-controlling interest balance (5 marks); and C. consolidated financial statements and statements of changes in equity of Platypus Limited and its controlled entities (5 marks).
- On 1 January 2007 Platypus Ltd purchased 100% of the issued capital of Emu Ltd for $650,000 cash. On acquisition Emu Ltd accounts showed: Share capital $700,000 and Retained earnings $159,000. All assets and liabilities were recorded at fair value except for land that was undervalued by $80,000.
- On 1 July 2008Platypus Ltd and Emu Ltd each acquired 35% of the issued capital of Koala Ltd for a combined total of $400,000 cash. The balance sheet of Koala Ltd at the acquisition date showed: Share capital $250,000 and Retained earnings $56,000. All assets and liabilities were recorded at fair value except foran item of plant that was undervalued by $30,000. At that time the plant had a remaining life of 6 years and accumulated depreciation of $24,000. The plant was still on hand at 30 June 2013.
For the year ended 30 June 2013:
- On 1 July 2012Koala Ltd sold an item of plant to Emu Ltd for $72,750 when its carrying value in Koala’s books was $69,000 (original cost $110,400 and original estimated life of 12 years).
- The opening inventory on 1 July 2012 in Platypus Ltd included stock of $29,000 acquired from Emu Ltd.
- During the year Emu Ltd made sales of inventory to Koala Ltd of $116,000, while Koala Ltd sold $184,000 of inventory to Platypus Ltd.
- Closing inventories on 30 June 2013 included the following: Platypus Ltd $55,000 (bought from Koala Ltd) and Koala Ltd $28,000 (bought from Emu Ltd).
- Platypus Ltd charged management fees to both Emu Ltd and Koala Ltd. Emu Ltd also charged management fees to Koala Ltd.
- Dividends were declared/paid by the three companies.
- Non-controlling interests to be recognised.
- Platypus Ltd has the following accounting policies which have been in place for the groupfor many years: (i) Revaluation adjustments on acquisition are to be made on consolidation only, not in the books of the subsidiary; (ii) Non-controlling interest is measured at fair value; (iii) Intragroup sales of inventory to be at a markup of 25% on cost; (iv) Plant is depreciated straight-line over its estimated life, with no residual value; and (v) all amounts to be recorded to the nearest whole dollar.
- The company tax rate is currently 30% and it has been this rate for many years.
- You MUST number journal entries as they relate to the point numbers given in the information below. Where more than one journal is needed, add the letters a,b,c,…etc to them. That is, if two journals are required to record the acquisition detailed in information point 1, then the first journal will be 1a and the second is 1b. Short narrations are expected for each journal entry.
- The consolidated statements required for both the group and the parent company are: the statement of comprehensive income, statement of financial position, and statement of changes in equity. Notes to the statements are not required.
- You may “cut and paste” the financial information on the next page into your excel file, but no other information is to be copied into your file.
|AT 30 JUNE 2013||PLATYPUS LTD||EMU LTD||KOALA LTD|
|Cost of goods sold||798,000||538,060||427,400|
|Management fee revenue||22,600||21,000|
|Gain on sale of plant||3,750|
|Management fee expense||–||(12,600)||(31,000)|
|Profit before tax||408,550||172,590||7,350|
|Income tax expense||(127,200)||(50,050)||(2,400)|
|Profit for the year after tax||281,350||122,540||4,950|
|Retained earnings at start of year||659,100||434,000||243,900|
|Retained earnings at year end||690,450||370,540||143,850|
|Income tax payable||125,900||66,700||2,600|
|Provision for employee benefits||19,200||15,700||12,900|
|Provision for employee benefits||21,900||19,400||14,100|
|Deferred tax liability||6,900||9,700||–|
|Allowance for doubtful debts||(15,500)||(7,000)||(4,200)|
|Land and buildings||800,000||610,800||652,000|
|Plant – at cost||901,200||601,200||699,600|
|Accumulated depreciation – plant||(294,900)||(194,400)||(297,600)|
|Deferred tax asset||–||–||1,700|
|Investment in Emu Ltd||650,000||–||–|
|Investment in Koala Ltd||200,000||200,000|
Assignment Cover Sheet
School of Business
Unit name and number:
200109 CORPORATE ACCOUNTING SYSTEMS
Tutorial day and time:
Title of assignment:
CONSOLIDATION WITH NON-CONTROLLING INTERESTS
Date due (in Week 11):
|Campus of enrolment:|
PARRAMATTA / BANKSTOWN (circle one
- I prepared this assignment using Excel and I hold a copy of the file if the printed original is lost or damaged or if I am required to submit the file for plagiarism checking.
- I hereby certify that no part of this assignment has been copied from any other student’s work or from any other source except where due acknowledgement is made in the assignment.
- No part of the assignment has been written or produced for me by any other person.
- I am aware that this work may be compared to work submitted by other students studying this unit this semester for the purpose of detecting possible plagiarism/collusion.
- I am aware that this work may be reproduced and submitted to plagiarism detection programs for the purpose of detecting possible plagiarism (which may retain a copy on its database for future plagiarism checking).
200109 Corporate Accounting Systems | Financial Accounting Assignment
Note: An examiner or lecturer/tutor has the right to not mark this assignment if the above declaration has not been signed.
Plagiarism, Cheating & Collusion
Plagiarism, cheating or collusion is regarded as a serious breach of the University’s academic standards. Students must carefully read the Academic Rules on Plagiarism, Cheating & Collusion. Refer to the School of Accounting Handbook for further details
RULES WILL BE STRICTLY ENFORCED
200109CORPORATE ACCOUNTING SYSTEMS ASSIGNMENT MARKING CRITERIA & STANDARDS – SPRING 2013
|CRITERIA||UNSATISFACTORY||BELOW EXPECTATIONS||MEETS MINIMUM EXPECTATIONS FOR A PASS||EXCEEDS MINIMUM EXPECTATIONS||SIGNIFICANTLY EXCEEDS EXPECTATIONS|
|A. Journal entries:|
|Four or moreevents not correctly recorded and/or missing and/or included incorrectly|
|Three events not correctly recorded and/or missing and/or included incorrectly|
|Two events not correctly recorded and/or missing and/or included incorrectly|
|One event not correctly recorded and/or missing and/or included incorrectly|
|Every required journal is correct, with none missing or included incorrectly|
Presentation, numbering and
|Three or more journals are not presented clearly and/or not complete and/or not numbered correctly|
|One or two journals not presented clearly and/or not complete and/or not numbered correctly|
|All journals are presented clearly and numbered correctly. All narrations are complete and informative|
|B. Consolidation Worksheet and Non-Controlling Interest Calculation:|
|Poor presentation and/or not balanced due toerrors and/or missing entries|
|Not clearly presented but does balance.|
|Clearly presented. No errors and/or missing entries|
Non-Controlling Interest Summary Calculation
|Three or more errors and/or not reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
? 0 marks
|Two errors but is reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
|One error but is reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
|Information is presented well, no errors and reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
|C. Consolidated Financial Statements|
Presentation of Comprehensive Income Statements & Balance Sheets
(for both Group and Parent)
|Poor presentation and/or more than three errors and/or missing headings or amounts|
|Not acceptably presented and/or three errors and/or missing headings or amounts|
|Acceptably presented, but with two errors and/or missing headings or amounts|
|Acceptably presented, but with one error and/or missing heading or amount|
|Correctly presented. No errors and/or missing headings or amounts|
Statements of Changes in Equity (for both Group and Parent)
|One or more errors and/or not reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
? 0 marks
|Information could be presented more clearly but is reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
|Information is clearly presented and reconciled to the Balance Sheet|
E: Errors flowing from earlier incorrect journals, etc will not be treated as further errors]